“The staff was amazing on our field trip which told us facts about apples, pumpkins and more.” ~ Susan F., Ashburn, VA
At Great Country Farms, we’ve been hosting hands-on field trips to engage your students’ minds for over 20 years. Our educational tours follow the Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL) requirements and meet homeschool curriculum. Our farm is large enough to accommodate an entire grade level at one time and tailored to meet the needs of groups from pre-school through elementary age students.(Tours are available Tuesdays – Fridays)
Your students will learn important concepts about sustainable agriculture, pollination and the environment. We focus on the produce in season, such as strawberries in the spring, peaches in the summer and apples and pumpkins in the fall. Choose from a variety of tour options where students can:
- Learn how fruits and veggies grow
- Learn about the Rock Cycle and pan for gems in our sluice
- Do the honeybee dance and search for pollinators in our demo garden
- Learn about the life-cycle of the Monarch Butterfly
- Explore the properties of local soils
- Tour the farm on our wagon ride
- Have a ball in our 5-acre play area after your tour
NEW for 2017~ We are excited to include “Compost your lunch leftovers”as part of our Greenhouse Station. Students will not only learn about compost, but will be able to add their fruit and veggie scraps to our new composting bins. (Not included for the Pollinator Tour)
“We have been coming for 8 or 9 years and absolutely love the experience you provide for the children. It’s educational and ties directly into our SOLs yet it’s so fun the children don’t even know they are thinking and learning.”
We also welcome Home School Groups, Scout troops, and Summer Camp programs.
Learn more about our educational tours for School Trips:
- Apple Tour – August 29 to September 15 (Home School Special!)
- Garden Tour
- Gem Tour
- Pollinator Tour – for students 6 yrs and older
- Pumpkin & Apple Tour
- Strawberry Tour
- 1 teacher free with every 15 students.
- With several covered areas, we run tours rain or shine.
- Order a hotdog lunch for $6, so you don’t have to pack your own food.
- Most groups spend about 3 hours on the farm – 1.5 to 2 hours for a tour and some extra time for lunch and free play. Plan on an extra 30 minutes for Combo tours.
- Please bring large cooler of water with cups for your group
CSA/Fan Memberships, Military ID and Promotional offers are not applicable for school tour admission.