“The staff was amazing on our field trip which told us facts about apples, pumpkins and more.” ~ Susan F., Ashburn, VA
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, we are not able to accept school tours at this time. We hope to have summer tours available after mid-June based on guidelines for the Phased opening of Virginia. We are missing the sounds of joyful children and want to support our teachers who are not able to bring their students out to visit the farm so have created 2 virtual tours for strawberry season and our greenhouse hosted by Farmer Andrew. We hope these will be a valuable resource for teachers to share with their students this spring!
At Great Country Farms, we’ve been hosting hands-on field trips to engage your students’ minds for over 25 years. Our educational tours follow the Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL) requirements and meet home school curriculum. Great Country Farms is large enough to accommodate an entire grade level at one time and tailored to meet the needs of groups from pre-school through elementary age students. (Tours are available Tuesdays – Fridays)
Your students will learn important concepts about sustainable agriculture, pollination and the environment. We focus on the produce in-season, such as strawberries in the spring, peaches in the summer and apples and pumpkins in the fall. Choose from a variety of tour options where students can:
- Learn how fruits and veggies grow
- Learn about the Rock Cycle and pan for gems in our sluice
- Do the honeybee dance and search for pollinators in our demo garden
- Learn about the life-cycle of the Monarch Butterfly
- Explore the properties of local soils
- Tour the farm on our wagon ride
- Have a ball in our 5-acre play area after your tour
- “Compost your lunch leftovers” as part of our Greenhouse Station. Students will not only learn about compost, but will be able to add their fruit and veggie scraps to our new composting bins. (Not included for the Pollinator Tour & Pumpkin Tour)
“We have been coming for 8 or 9 years and absolutely love the experience you provide for the children. It’s educational and ties directly into our SOLs yet it’s so fun the children don’t even know they are thinking and learning.”
We also welcome Home School Groups, Scout troops, and Summer Camp programs.
Learn more about our educational tours for School Trips:
- Apple Tour – late August to mid-September(Home School Special!)
- Garden Tour
- Gem Tour
- Pollinator Tour – for students 6 yrs and older
- Pumpkin Tour – October
- Strawberry Tour
- 1 teacher free with every 15 students.
- With several covered areas, we run tours rain or shine.
- Order a hotdog lunch for $6, so you don’t have to pack your own food.
- Most groups spend about 3 hours on the farm – 1 to 1.5 hours for a tour and some extra time for lunch and free play. Plan on an extra 30 minutes for Combo tours.
- Please bring water bottles or a large cooler of water with cups for your group
- Tours available Tuesdays-Fridays
CSA/Fan Memberships, Military ID and Promotional offers are not applicable for school tour admission.